Last night was one of the roughest nights I've had in awhile. I'm not talking about emotionally, but mentally and physically it was like a marathon with no perceived finish line. I'm a nurse, and I usually work 12 hour shifts from 6pm to 6am on the weekends. Overnights are tough as it is, but I'm slowly becoming accustomed to the work. Although, I have to admit, twelve hours is my limit. I start dragging that last half hour and struggle getting home.
Last night I worked just over 15 hours. UNPLANNED.
As a nurse, it's part of the job that you have to stay on shift and wait until your relief gets there. You cannot abandon your patients, it's just unethical. Well, my relief had the balls to pull a no-call no-show. So there I was, at 6am on a Saturday, STUCK AT WORK. And no one bothered to answer the damn phone. I ended up waiting almost another 3 and a half hours for someone to finally show up to relieve me. Those last three and a half hours were beyond difficult, and not because I was starting to fall asleep on the job either. No, this morning just about everyone decided to either have a seizure or code. Some idiot must have said the Q word. So here I am, with no help since everyone else was busy, trying to control my assigned patients and not let anyone die on my watch. Thank God I was successful. No one died. Yay....
This girl that ended up showing up was supposed to be on medical leave. I swear.... this girl is my favorite coworker. I felt so bad for her because she had surgery only a few days prior. But none of the pool staff wanted to answer the phone. I felt bad for my boss, because she ended up scrambling as well.
The worst part.... I'm back at work and we have no idea who is going to show up in the morning. Again.
I need to find a new job. This is not how a business should be run.
No comments:
Post a Comment