"Who am I? Who am I? I am a walrus." - Brian, The Breakfast Club
Who am I?
Fortunately for all who are reading this, I am, in fact, not a walrus. I may resemble one, but that is a completely different issue. The question at hand, "who am I", is often a question that we ask ourselves. Many people spend a lifetime trying to answer that question for themselves. For many, myself included, the answer to that question evolves and expands over time.
The movie, The Breakfast Club, explores this question. The characters come to the conclusion that each one of us is "a princess, a brain, a jock, a basketcase, and a criminal". I could not agree more.
That leaves me with the question to answer: Who am I? I am a mother, a friend, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a student, etc.. I am a human being, full of hopes, dreams, stories, fears, and aspirations. I am a person with self-worth, but I also am full of insecurities. I am me, at this very moment. If you asked me the same question at any point in the future, my answer could be different. Any person's answer could be.
Where do I come from?
Biologically speaking, I think everyone reading this has had "the talk", and we do not need to discuss where my body came from. If you do not know what "talk" I am referring to, please consult an anatomy book or your parents.
I have lived all over the United States and the world: Georgia, France, Kansas, California, and Arizona. It has been a huge blessing in my life to experience as many different cultures as I have, and I feel as if I have been able to grow and learn from my experiences.
Where am I going?
Currently, I am going to college for a degree in psychology. I plan to pursue a master's degree in clinical psychology with an emphasis in forensic psychology. I would like to, more than anything, become a member of a behavioral health emergency response team. I love to get my hands dirty and be in the middle of situations. Sure, I will not be making millions and my job will be stressful; however, helping people is what is most important to me. That is where am I going - where people need my help, wherever that may be.
How am I going to get there?
School, perserverance, and connections will get me to where I want to go. Nothing can be achieved without hard work and a little good planning.

No comments:
Post a Comment